Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Newsletter 41 – Tuesday, November 25, 2014
- Lucys Story – Chapter 76
- Americas Best Flowers makes Holiday decorating easy AND fun!
- Wreath Workshop this Sunday
- Holiday Centerpiece Workshop
- Custom made Holiday Porch Pots!
- Fresh and Natural Holiday Decorating Items
- Other Holiday Decorating Items
- Holiday Grab and Go Porch Pots
- Holiday Gift Giving Ideas
- Fresh Cut Christmas Trees!
- Gorgeous Poinsettias
- Edgerton Floral Holiday Open House
- Another Holiday Gift Giving Idea!
- Recipe: Christmas Morning Cinnamon Rolls
Cottage Grove open
Open 7 days a week 9am-5:30pm
Mon-Fri 8:30am-5:30pm, Sat 8:30am-5pm, Sun 9am-4pm
Lucys Story – Chapter 76
Its so easy for me to take a nap when my mom and dad are talking to each other. Oh, its not because theyre boring far from that. In fact, they are really pretty silly together.
I nod off cause the sound of their voices makes me feel safe, relaxed and loved. And there are certain words that they say like Lucy, love, walk and food that take me straight to dreamland.
But, my friends, have no doubt, these ears are on autopilot! It is my duty and honor to keep my mom and dad safe from all dangers in the world.
Im always on alert (yep, even when Im snoring!)
A dog has the soul of a philosopher.
Americas Best Flowers makes Holiday decorating easy AND fun!
Bring your creativity and holiday spirit on out to our last two
This is how it all works!
You may pre-register for either one or both of our remaining workshop events by sending Marty an email at email@example.com or call us at 608-222-2269.
We want to have plenty of supplies for you to create your masterpieces, so pre-registration is appreciated, though not required.
Both of our workshops are ongoing throughout the day between 9am and 3pm, so there is no need to sign up for a particular time slot, just the date. Walk-ins are always welcome.
Wreath Workshop this Sunday
Sunday, November 30th
Ongoing throughout the day between 9am and 3pm
A cheery and festive wreath on your front door is a warm and welcoming way to greet your holiday guests into your home.
Join us for our holiday wreath workshop and custom decorate a wreath. We have 18, 24, 30 and 36 freshly made wreaths available.
You can select from an assortment of decorations to create your own individually decorated wreath. Pricing is the cost of the wreath plus the cost of the individual picks, swags and bows that you select.
As with all our workshops, you do the creating. Our experienced design staff will be on hand to assist you, if needed.
What a fun project for the family and, in fact, there are no limits to how many you can make. What a nice surprise for Grandma and Grandpa or that very special neighbor.
Its a thoughtful way to show people that you are thinking of them and wishing them Happy Holidays!
Holiday Centerpiece Workshop
Saturday, December 6th
Ongoing throughout the day between 9am and 3pm
Create a beautiful centerpiece for your holiday table! Start by adding fresh greens to florist’s foam to create your base. Choose from an assortment of picks for a seasonal accent. For that classic look simply add a candle.
The football-playing turkey
The pro football team had just finished their daily practice session when a large turkey came strutting onto the field. While the players gazed in amazement, the turkey walked up to the head coach and demanded a tryout.
Everyone stared in silence as the turkey caught pass after pass and ran right through the defensive line. When the turkey returned to the sidelines, the coach shouted, "You’re terrific!!! Sign up for the season, and I’ll see to it that you get a huge bonus."
"Forget the bonus," the turkey said, "All I want to know is, does the season go past Thanksgiving Day?"
Words of appreciation from Marty!
Thank you to all the talented and fun people that joined us this past weekend for our Holiday Porch Pot workshop. It was a big success because of YOU!
Dont panic if you werent able to make it to our Holiday Porch Pot workshop this past weekend…there is still time!
Due to reduced staff at this time of year our assistance during the week may be rather limited, so please call us and make an appointment to come out during the week between 10am-3 pm to make your Holiday Porch Pot. Well be happy to get you started, but it is a hands on workshop, so bring your gardening gloves and pruners. Free sand is provided with purchase.
And if you would like to have a Holiday Porch Pot, but dont have time to come in, please see the following article.
Custom made Holiday Porch Pots!
Americas Best Flowers would be happy to custom make your Holiday Porch Pots. To order please email Marty Robbins at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 608-222-2269.
Fresh and Natural Holiday Decorating Items
- Bulk amaryllis as well as gift-packaged amaryllis.
- Decorated and undecorated fresh wreaths made locally.
- Roping, 25 and 50′ lengths (Perfect for your holiday decorating.)
- Bundled greens, assorted greens in 3 pound bundles. (More freshness for your holiday decorating.)
- Cyclamen, Christmas Cactus, and (both decorated and undecorated) Norfolk Island Pine trees in small and medium sizes.
- Indoor/Patio Citrus Meyer lemon plants
- Grab-n-Go Holiday Porch Pots
- Holiday Hanging baskets
- Dogwood and willow bundles
Things proven to change the course of Thanksgiving
1. During the middle of the meal, turn to mom and say, "See mom, I told you they wouldn’t notice that the turkey was four months past its expiration date. You were worried for nothing."
2. When everyone goes around to say what they are thankful for, say, "I’m thankful I didn’t get caught" and refuse to say anything more.
3. Bring a date that only talks about the tragic and abusive conditions known to exist at turkey farms. Request that she bring photos.
Other Holiday Decorating Items
We even have a selection of forever-lasting items such as artificial table centerpieces, decorated wreaths and gorgeous artificial bows!
Holiday Grab and Go Porch Pots
Stop by and grab and go with one of our Grab and Go Decorated Porch Pots! What a nice way to greet guests even before they cross your threshold. Fresh greens combined with artificial enhancements will stand the test of holiday time.
Holiday Gift Giving Ideas
- Beautiful Birdbaths (both ceramic and stone)
- Bird feeders
- Stone owls with varying wing spans
- Stone penguins
- Large ceramic turtle planters
- Large and small ceramic fish planters
- Stone fairy houses
An Industrious Turkey Farmer
An industrious turkey farmer was always experimenting with breeding to perfect a better turkey. His family was fond of the leg portion for dinner and there were never enough legs for everyone.
After many frustrating attempts, the farmer was relating the results of his efforts to his friends at the general store get together. "Well I finally did it! I bred a turkey that has 6 legs!"
They all asked the farmer how it tasted.
"I don’t know", said the farmer. "I never could catch the darn thing!"
Fresh Cut Christmas Trees!
Ho, Ho, Ho your fresh cut Christmas trees will be here very soon!
Our gorgeous trees grow in the great outdoors of Northern Wisconsin, but due to the recent 2-3 foot snowfall in that area there has been a delay in their delivery. Once more, we are hoping to have them for this weekend but we do suggest that you give us a call at 608-222-2269 before you drive out.
When they DO arrive, well fresh cut the trunk for you and help you load it into or on top of your vehicle. If you live within 5 miles of our Cottage Grove location wed be happy to deliver them to your home. A $10.00 delivery fee would apply for that service.
What kind of music did the Pilgrims like?
Our Edgerton location has been busy growing beautiful poinsettias for the holiday season. Stop by our Cottage Grove or Edgerton location this week and pick some up for your family, friends and, of course for yourself!
They will also make a great Thanksgiving Day Hostess Gift!
Edgerton Floral Holiday Open House
Our Edgerton location is having a Holiday Open House on the weekend of December 6th-7th. Please join us Saturday from 8:30am 5:00 pm or Sunday from 9:00am-4:00pm.
There will be in-store specials along with a vast array of decorating ideas.
You will be awed by all the fresh and natural beauty this gem of a greenhouse offers. Every wreath, Holiday Grab-n-Go Porch Pot and Holiday Porch Pot was created right there by our talented Edgerton staff.
Our Edgerton address is 1101 N. Main St., located right next door to Deegan Hardware.
Did we mention that, with purchase, you can register for a door prize?
Another Holiday Gift Giving Idea!
Americas Best Flowers gift cards are not only the perfect holiday gift for that favorite gardener in your life, but they make a great gift for your childs teacher or a fellow co-worker. Holidays and entertaining go together! Why not give an Americas Best Flowers gift card to your Thanksgiving Day host and hostess this week?
We would be happy to take your gift card orders over the phone and mail the cards for you with a personal message for the recipient.
The Man Who Forgot to Buy a Turkey for Thanksgiving
It’s the day before Thanksgiving, and the butcher is just locking up when a man begins pounding on the front door.
"Please let me in", says the man desperately. "I forgot to buy a turkey, and my wife will kill me if I don’t come home with one".
"Okay", says the butcher. "Let me see what I have left". He goes into the freezer and discovers that there’s one last scrawny turkey left. He brings it out to show the man.
"That one is too skinny. What else you got?" says the man.
The butcher takes the bird back into the freezer and waits a few minutes, and brings the same turkey back out to the man.
"Oh, no", says the man, "that one doesn’t look any better. You better give me both of them!"
|Sun, Nov 30||
9am3pm Pre-Registration Appreciated
|Sat, Dec 6||
Holiday Centerpiece Workshop
9am3pm Pre-Registration Appreciated
Christmas Morning Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
- 3 1/4 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package instant or rapid rise yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan and set aside.
- Starting with the dough, place milk and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until butter is almost melted and milk is warm. Stir until butter is completely melted. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 2 cups of flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix until well combined with the beater paddle attached. Add the egg and milk mixture to the dry mix and continue stirring until thoroughly combined. Substitute dough hook for the beater paddle and add remaining flour or until dough starts to pull away from the sides, about 1-2 minutes. Continue to knead the dough for 5 minutes. Slightly flour your work surface and place dough on top. Let rest for 10 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and butter until well mixed. You are basically making a cinnamon butter. Set aside.
- Roll out your dough until it measures 12 x 14 inches (rectangular shape). Spread filling evenly over the dough. Beginning with the longer side thats closest to you, roll dough into a log. Pinch edges closed and cut into 12 equal pieces. Place cinnamon rolls in four rows of three into the prepared pan and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. When the rolls are finished rising, bake them for 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- While the cinnamon rolls are baking, prepare the icing by combining the confectioners sugar, butter, vanilla and milk. Once the rolls have finished baking, let cool for 5 minutes and spread icing evenly over the top. Enjoy!
Cinnamon Rolls will keep up to 3 days in an airtight container on your counter or in the fridge. You can also freeze them in freezer bags for up to 3 weeks. Makes 12.